-

-

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Review: Shu Uemura The Lightbulb Foundation

Hi guys!

I have been using the Shu Uemura Lightbulb Foundation with SPF30 for quite some time and I am ready to write a thorough review! 



I had to mix a darker foundation with this because it is slightly lighter than my skin tone. However, recently, it matches my skin perfectly because it's winter and my skin just gets super light during winter.

Firstly, it comes with a sponge, which, like the name suggests, is shaped like a lightbulb. You can use the wider surface area to apply all over the face or use the tip to get a more precise application. I like to use the sponge damp, but I have read somewhere that you do not need to use this sponge damp. Nowadays, I tend not to use the Lightbulb sponge just because it seems to take a much longer time for me to clean it using my sponge detergent as compared to using a normal sponge I got from drugstores. On the other hand, when I use sponges that are not round and have edges, it does take a longer time to blend the foundation out because it tends to be a little streaky. I have not had this experience with other foundations though.



As for the foundation shade range, there is a wide variety of cool tone and warm tone shades, and I use yellow-based foundations. The shade I have is 764 Medium Light Beige but it is still lighter than my skin tone during the summer, and so I like to mix it in with a small amount of my darker foundation, which is the Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Foundation in Beige. But as I am writing this in the winter, it matches my skin tone perfectly.


Photo from http://evonnz.com/2013/09/shu-uemura-the-lightbulb-fluid-foundation/

I got my Lightbulb Foundation at the Narita Duty Free Store, and the lady there was extremely helpful and she helped me find my closest shade. When my skin wasn't extremely fair, I was slightly too dark for the shade that I am using, but also slightly too light for the next shade.



Now to the texture and finish of the foundation. I feel that this foundation is a medium coverage foundation but you can build it up easily. In my opinion, the Lightbulb Foundation has AMAZING coverage even though it has a thinner consistency. I only use one layer and then go in with a concealer to cover up darker blemishes.

I'm not sure why, but I feel like the foundation looks different on my skin when I had to mix in a darker foundation and when I didn't have to. When this foundation was too dark and when I mixed in my darker foundation, it was extremely lightweight and it looked really like skin! I have gotten away with this foundation with people thinking that I have nice, flawless skin (even when I don’t). This foundation also gave a really nice glow to your skin, and it made me look healthy.

However, during the winter and when my skin tone is perfect for this foundation, I felt that it didn't look as "skin-like". Another thing I have noticed is that the foundation does tend to start breaking down when I've worn it for around 8 hours, especially around and on my nose. Also, since I have dry skin, this foundation seems to cling onto any dry spots I may have.

Overall, I'm not sure if it's just because my skin isn't as hydrated during winter, or it's because the formula of my darker foundation changed the way this foundation looked. This is just something for you to keep in mind.

I will now talk about the wear of the foundation. I don’t know what it is, but with some foundations, I almost always get a foundation crease in my smile lines and it makes me look so old when I’m only a young adult. With the Lightbulb Foundation, I still see some creasing. I have also tried applying this on my dark circles and I am sad to say that it almost instantly starts creasing.



Onto the packaging and price. The foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump and it looks really sleek, so there’s nothing much I can complain about. For the price, it is a higher end foundation and it costs around $50USD. It may be slightly cheaper in Japan, but I don’t know for sure.

So would I repurchase this? I must say that this foundation is pretty nice and it’s one of the best foundations I have used, but I am just ambivalent on how the foundation looks different during summer and winter. I will continue searching for similar foundations that match my skin tone perfectly when my skin isn't unnaturally light during the winter. However, if you find a shade that matches you, I do encourage you to try it out. I’ve heard great things about it, tried it myself, and overall, I think it is worth the price you pay. 

I hope that my review was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions in the comments! Thank you for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment